Let me start off by saying that "review" might not be the best word to describe what follows. I'm not going into detail of all the modules or exercises that are available in The Focus Course. It wouldn't do justice to what Shawn Blanc created.
What I can do, is share what the course meant to me. And more importantly, how it changed me as a person.
What is it?
It's a 40 day course filled with tips and tricks on how to live a more meaningful life. Shawn goes into detail on how we can improve our lifes, shares some of his own experiences and more importantly he explains why you're doing X or Y and what the expected result can be.
The exercises are usually short and easy to do, but some require your full attention. The majority of the time, I scheduled the exercises before going to work. I think 30 minutes is about the longest I had to spend on any day. Because of several reasons, that are mostly just bad excuses, I finished the entire course in 83 days. There's no implied deadline, you can do it at your own pace. But I know I could have been faster if I hadn't procrastinated in some areas of the course (oh the irony!).
What changed as a result of doing The Focus Course?
Below is a list of things I could think of that were a direct result of exercises I did during the course:
- watching less TV. We like to watch series (currently Homeland), but instead of watching two or more episodes a night, I'm only watching one episode in order to create time to read.
- stopped following RSS feeds, unfollowed noisy twitter accounts and unsubscribed from newsletters that I didn't read anyway.
- picked up meditating again (I can highly recommend the Calm app).
- sold things I no longer needed instead of storing them in the attic.
- celebrate small wins and make others aware of their small wins.
- consciously think of ways to make things easier for future me
- finally started this blog you're reading.
- planning my evenings (budgetting time) to get a better balance between spending time with my fiancee, friends/family, events,... and personal development.
Maybe the most noticeable difference for me is that once or twice a day, I catch myself thinking about a situation: how I could have been a better person, behave in another way, say something different,...
What am I struggling with?
There are two modules about your life vision, setting life goals for different areas of your life and creating daily habits. This is where I lost the most time, but found a lot of valuable information after pulling through.
I found it hard to write these things down and I'm sure some of my life goals will change when I make progress towards them. Shawn helps you create multiple steps towards a life goal, which is a great way to evaluate if you're making progress.
What do I want to improve?
- my morning schedule: spending too much time on reading social media, playing games,... There are about 5 hours per week I could be spending much better.
- keeping a diary on a daily basis: I'm looking at the setup of Five Minute Journal to have a framework to start from each day.
- do more meaningful work.
Would I recommend this course?
YES! I think that everyone can get something out of this course. For me personally it has been the best investment in myself in 2015.
At the time of writing The Focus Course is available for $ 347 (lifetime access).